Perry Lecompton bus and transportation schedules are updated annually prior to the opening of school. Once routes are established in August, we try very hard to remain consistent for the entire school year. A couple of reasons which might create a change in an established route might include a road that has been closed for construction or a new student has moved into our district and his/her residence is located on a road that isn’t part of an established route.
Out of district students are welcome to ride our district route buses for no fee as long as there is available room on the bus and the family is willing to drive into district and meet the bus on an established in-district route.
Our prime objective is to transport our students safely and efficiently. We would certainly appreciate your cooperation and support in this endeavor.
Guidelines to follow:
- Students should be out near the road or pick-up point when the bus arrives. Parents should plan on 5 minutes on each side of the designated time for pick-up of the student. The driver will stop and open the bus door, and if the student is not in sight, the driver will continue on his/her route. The bus will not wait on students.
- Students should stay well away from the bus stop area and should not move toward the bus until it stops and the door opens.
- Students, who must cross the road, either to enter or leave the bus, should wait until the driver signals for them to cross the road. Also, those students crossing the road to load or unload the bus should always cross in front of the bus and should be at least ten feet ahead of the bus so the driver can see them.
- If you need to make a change to your student’s transportation plan during the school day, you must call the office of your child’s attendance center by 2:30 PM. The building secretary will give your child the required note which will allow them to board the bus.
- If you know in advance that your child needs to ride a different route home, please send a signed note to the office secretary. The secretary will initial the note, make a copy and give a copy back to your child. Your child should present this note to the bus driver. The note MUST be initialized by the office secretary to be considered valid. Every attempt will be made to accommodate a request for a change, however, requests are not guaranteed if the requested route is already full.
- The driver is in charge of the students and the bus. The student should obey the driver’s request in a prompt and orderly fashion. NO INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR OR LANGUAGE WILL BE TOLERATED. Classroom conduct is to be observed by the students while on the bus. In the interest of safety, only low conversation is acceptable. Unnecessary conversation with the driver is not acceptable.
- The driver will not discharge riders at other places besides the regular bus stop unless the driver has the proper authorization to do so. Proper authorization is a note from a parent or guardian, INITIALED by the principal or his or her designated representative. Also, a phone call can be made to the school authorizing the principal, or his/her designated representative, to write a note for the driver. These calls should be made to the child’s attendance center by 2:30 p.m.
- If a student is not riding the bus in the AM morning route, you must notify the driver or the bus barn. If you know in advance that your child will not be riding the AM route, you can call the bus barn. It is open from 5:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and the phone number is 597-5303.
- If a change in transportation is necessary for the PM route, please call the school building where your child attends. Again, this call must be made before 2:30 PM to ensure proper notification.
- When bus rules are not observed, disciplinary consequences may include the following: a verbal warning from the driver, the student being assigned a seat, parental contact, a meeting with the principal. If problems continue, the principal will issue a written warning, which could be followed by removal of the student from the bus. At any point, consequences will be determined by the building principal for each offense. Severe offenses will result in severe consequences.
- If a parent should have a bus question or concern, they should contact the bus driver first. If concerns still exist, please contact the transportation director, Justin Dunnaway @ 785-597-5124 or email at email@example.com.