- Mascot: Kaw
- School Colors: Blue and White
- Enrollment Size: 250
- Grade Configuration: 5 – 8
- Athletic League: Big 7 League
Perry-Lecompton Middle School is located in Perry, Kansas. The town of Perry is located just off Kansas Highway 24, approximately twelve miles northwest of Lawrence, Kansas and fifteen miles east of Topeka, Kansas. Students who attend PLMS live in a rural setting including the communities of Grantville, Lecompton, Perry and Williamstown.
The mission of PLMS is to help students become self-reliant, productive citizens. In support of this mission statement, our staff and Site Council parents created the value statements listed below.
- We believe PLMS will foster a safe and inviting learning environment accessible to all students.
- We believe consistent and accurate communication is key to successfully educating our students.
- We believe students can achieve success given quality instruction and evaluations.
- To prepare students for post secondary careers, we believe PLMS academic programs must offer valuable, real-world applications which support and challenge all students.
- We believe our teachers will be leaders in instructional technology.
- We believe PLMS staff will hold themselves and students to high expectations, while maintaining a positive relationship with students, parents, colleagues, and community.
- We believe teachers, administrators, the board of education and parent will reinforce student accountability in the learning process.
As we look forward to this school year, please know that our staff will be working hard to help each and every one of our students achieve this mission.
To accomplish this, our staff meets on a weekly basis for collaboration meetings to discuss student progress and plan educational activities. In addition, the staff conducts monthly departmental meetings to review “Best Practices” for our core classes and conducts monthly student intervention meetings to address specific individual student concerns.
At PLMS, we have an eight period day. A variety of non-core courses are offered including Art, Band, Vocal Music, Industrial Technology, Science Exploration/CSI 101, Physical Education, Computer Applications, and Multimedia class. In addition to our elective and core classes, our class schedule includes an EL (Extended Learning) period, which serves as an enrichment and/or support time for our students.
Our staff believes that the success of our students greatly depends on the support of our parents and community, therefore it is our goal to provide all parents and the community with up to date information about PLMS. We hope to accomplish this in the following ways.
- USD 343/PLMS Website – This is definitely the best way to keep up-to-date on current events and activities at PLMS. Please bookmark our website page and check back often. Parents will also find teacher email addresses, directions to away athletic events, breakfast and lunch menu, link to Power School and numerous other informational links.
- USD 343/PLMS Google Calendar - This is the most up-to-date information. If you have anything in print this is a good place to double check and make sure nothing has changed.
- Perry-Lecompton Middle School Official Facebook Page - Through the school year we will share information here as well as pictures and reminders.
- Power School Access – A secure web page linked to our PLMS homepage. This site allows parents to check on their child’s assignments, overall grades, attendance and discipline issues. Parents should stop by our office to pick up your User Login and Password information. Please remember that you must provide picture identification to receive login/password information.
- Site Council – Our site council provides parents with the opportunity to work more closely with PLMS staff as we seek better ways to meet the needs of our students.
- PTO – Parent Teacher Organization – The PTO also meets on a bi-monthly basis and is highly involved with providing valuable support on Parent-Teacher Conference, concession stand, fund-raisers, etc.
- Staff Email – Student progress is very important to the PLMS staff. The learning activities that occur during the school day receive first priority; therefore, a response to a parent email may not occur until after the school day or even the next morning. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, an email response should occur within one business day.
- BrightArrow – A program that allows us to notify every parents of important announcements within minutes of sending the message. Even if parents are unavailable to take the call, BrightArrow will leave a message which can be accessed at a more convenient time. Typically, we will use this system for school cancellations, athletic event cancellations/postponements or other important messages as determined by administration.
- Monday Memo and Monthly Newsletters – Are you curious about what is occurring at PLMS during the upcoming week or month? Make sure you provide PLMS with your e-mail. At the beginning of each week an email is sent out with information for upcoming events and reminders for parents and students. Monthly emails will be sent out on or around the 1st of each month.
In closing, please know that it is our honor and privilege to work with each and every student. We appreciate the support that PLMS receives from our community and parents! We truly understand that the success of our students is largely due to the guidance and encouragement provided at home. Have a great school year and please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. GO KAWS!