Adult/Staff Tobacco Policy
from the USD#343 Board Policy Book
GAOC Use of Tobacco Products on and in School Property (See JCDAA) GAOC
Effective July 1, 2011, the use of all tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, pipes and
smokeless tobacco) is prohibited in or on all school district property. The policy applies to everyone
working on, working in, using or visiting school district properties. It applies to personal vehicles on
school district property and district-owned vehicles.
This policy further prohibits tobacco industry advertising, marketing, and sponsorship
on district property, at school functions, and in school publications. In addition, the exhibition of
tobacco-oriented gear or paraphernalia by staff and students is prohibited.
(The Grantville facility will be exempt from this policy until the current lease contract is renewed.)
Administrative Implemental Procedures:
- While this policy does not require employees to quit tobacco use, the school district supports and encourages all efforts by employees to quit tobacco use. The district will provide smoking cessation materials to assist employees.
- Employees who violate this policy will be subject to the following progressive discipline:
- The first violation will result in a verbal reminder to the employee of the policy,
- The second violation will result in a written reprimand,
- The third violation will result in the employee participating in tobacco use cessation training, and
- The fourth and subsequent violations will result in a one-day suspension without pay.
- Parents, vendors, and visitors will be informed of the tobacco-free policy through signage, announcements, and letters to homes and vendors. Visitors to school district property will be informed of the policy and asked to leave the premises if they refuse to comply.