Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

USD 343 Perry-Lecompton

Parents and Students


Ajax Loading Image


2022-2023 Letter to Household Free, and Reduced Priced, Meals Information

USD #343 Logo

Dear Parent/Guardian:


Children need healthy meals to learn USD #343 Perry Public Schools offers healthy meals every school day. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals.


Meal Charges


Middle or Jr. High

High School

Full Price

Reduced Price

Full Price

Reduced Price

Full Price

Reduced Price


















After School Snack







A web address to complete an online application for free or reduced price meal benefits is provided in #5 of this letter. Information regarding the free and reduced priced meal application is also available online at www.usd343.net .  Contact Deb Brehm at 785-360-2022; or email dbrehm@usd343.org with questions or to request an application be sent. Below are some common questions and answers to help you with the process. 


  1. Who can get free OR REDUCED PRICE meals?
    • All children in households receiving benefits from Food Assistance (FA), the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or Temporary Assistance for Families (TAF) are eligible for free meals.
    • Foster children under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
    • Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.
    • Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.
    • Children may receive free or reduced price meals based on certain Medicaid benefits or if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines below, if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart.



Household size




































Each additional person:















  1. HOW DO I KNOW IF MY CHILDREN QUALIFY AS homeless, MIGRANT, OR RUNAWAY? Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions please call or e-mail Josh Woodward, USD #343 Homeless/Migrant Liaison at 785-597-5138 ext. 5004 or email him at jwoodward@usd343.org for assistance.
  2. Do I need to fill out an application for each child?  No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Parents/guardians should be completing the online application, but if a paper application is completed, please return it to: Deb Brehm at the USD #343 District Office at PO Box 729, Perry, Kansas  66073.
  3. SHOULD I FILL OUT AN APPLICATION IF I RECEIVED A LETTER THIS SCHOOL YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE ALREADY APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS?  No, but please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact Deb Brehm at the USD #343 District Office at PO Box 729, Perry, Kansas  66073; or call her at 785-360-2022; or email dbrehm@usd343.org  immediately.
  4.  CAN I APPLY ONLINE?   Yes!!  Please complete an online application instead of a paper application if you are able. The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application. Visit https://schoolmealsapp.ksde.org/Home/welcome/D0343 to begin or to learn more about the online application process. Contact Deb Brehm at the USD #343 District Office at PO Box 729, Perry, Kansas  66073; or call her at 785-360-2022; or email dbrehm@usd343.org if you have any questions about the online application.
  5.  MY CHILD’S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR.  DO I NEED TO FILL OUT A NEW ONE?  Yes.  The 30 day Carry Over time frame for 30 service days will be using your child’s lunch status from the 20-21 school year, as parents did not complete Free and Reduced Applications last year.  Your child’s carry over lunch status is only good for the first few days of this school year, through September 29, 2022You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year based on being directly certified as Free with a case number for Food Assistance, TEMP Food Assistance, Migrant, Homeless, or Foster.  If you do not complete a new application that is approved by the school or you have not been notified that your child is eligible for free meals, your child will be charged the full price for meals. 
  6. I GET WIC.  CAN MY CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS?  Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals.  Please send in an application.
  7. Will the information I give be checked? Yes. We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report.
  8. If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later? Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year.  For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.
  9. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by contacting J.B. Elliott by writing PO Box 729, Perry, Kansas 66073 or calling J.B. Elliott at 785-597-5138 ext. 5003.
  10. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals. 
  11. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes.  If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.
  12. WHAT IF SOME HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS HAVE NO INCOME TO REPORT? Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.
  13. We are in the military. do we REPORT OUR INCOME DIFFERENTLY? Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.
  14. WHAT IF THERE ISN’T ENOUGH SPACE ON THE PAPER APPLICATION FOR MY FAMILY?  List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper, and attach it to your application. Contact Deb Brehm at the USD #343 District Office at PO Box 729, Perry, Kansas  66073; or call her at 785-360-2022; or email dbrehm@usd343.org to receive a second application.
  15. My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for? To find out how to apply for Food Assistance (FA) or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 1-888-369-4777.

If you have other questions or need help, call 785-360-2022.


Deb Brehm

USD #343 Determining Official              

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.